Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Learning from Beau


One of my first blogs was about learning “grace” from my bloodhound puppy”Beau”. He is now nearly three.

Saturday on our walk he was teaching me again, this time about trust and faith.
 
It is spring in Germany and the fields we normally walk in have some sort of high grass growing in them. I love to watch Beau hop in this grass. He looks like he has a big dumb dog smile on his face. Saturday I thought I would give him a special treat and take him through new grass. This grass was about the height my chest. Yeah I’m five six so it is not that high. To me it is not high but to Beau it is. The only thing he can see is the grass in front of him. I can see where we are going but he has to totally trust me. Beau is a bloodhound and bloodhounds do not normally follow people because they follow their nose. In this case Beau has to follow me, to follow my lead, to trust me, and not follow his own normal instincts. Beau has to have faith in me…


I think about how many times I need to follow God’s lead, totally trust him even though I cannot see where I am going. I know He knows the proper path we should take but it is not easy to want to do it my way.

It was not easy for Beau to follow me even though he knows I love him and will get us where we need to go.

Beau could have missed a new adventure if he had fought and wanted to go home but he submitted and was able to jump and play and have a good time. I enjoyed watching him and his big dumb dog smile.

If I trust God, I can have an adventure, get to have fun in the tall grass God leads me through, let God take me where I need to go, have a big dumb Buddy smile and maybe even give God a smile.

I hope I can be as obedient Beau.


3 comments:

  1. Dad,
    I love the idea of blogs dealing with Beau. Not because he's like my own little child/dog, but because we have learned so much about ourselves and our lives, just by being with him and they way all 3 of us treat him.
    I look at Beau and think about my own son who should be making his appearance in a couple months and I think am I going to be as good to this child as I already am to this dog. I know people tell me I am going to be fine, I'll be a good mother, but in all honesty with you and the wide world of the web, I hate the idea of putting me on the back burner and being all about this baby. I KNOW that it's selfish. I KNOW that it's wrong. I also KNOW, that I will do it. I will help raise this baby to be the man that we can hope for. I hate the feeling that MY life is over at 23 and yet, I know I have so much going on and so much about to start. I also know that MY life has just become OUR life and OUR life has barely even started. What does any of this have to do with your blog? Everything. I am trying to let God, lead me even though right now, in this instant, I can't see the forest for the trees or for the tall grass, for that matter. I know he has a plan, it is most DEFINITELY NOT the plan he or I had started with, but it is going to turn out to be probably one of the most amazing adventures I will ever have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scariest words I ever heard were not “incoming” during a deployment but “It’s a girl” from the doctor.

    The adventure started…

    It has been a wild ride but a great one. I am proud of you and the woman you have become. It does freak me out a little to see my little girl becoming a Mom.

    God will get you through the weeds if you let him and you too, can have a big dumb smile if you trust Him during these times. This does not mean you will not have your share of tears and nights of praying. You will celebrate successes and PRAY through failures and there will be a lot of both.

    God has given you a good husband to go through these times with and this too will be an adventure.

    Just for the record… you will always be my baby girl, And yes God did smile when I heard those words, “It’s a GIRL” because He knew how happy I was going to be and how much I would love you.

    ReplyDelete